News about my next project: Untethered Sky, a standalone fantasy novella about the legendary rocs of myth and the elite trainers who fly them, will be released by Tordotcom in early 2023. Read the full announcement here.
The Jade Setter of Janloon, a standalone prequel novella of the Green Bone Saga, releases in limited edition hardcover and e-book formats from Subterranean Press on April 30, 2022. It stars completely new characters with major appearances by familiar cast members of the main trilogy. The incredible cover wraparound cover art is by Charis Loke. I thoroughly enjoyed returning to Janloon to tell this noir mystery and can’t wait to share it with readers.
Links to the places Jade Legacy and I have been around the Internet lately.
- Winter is Coming with Daniel Roman
- With Petrik Leo
- With Daniel Greene
- Fantasy Book Inn
- SFF Addicts with Adrian Gibson
- Library Journal (subscribers only)
- Worldbuilders Spotlight
- It’s Just A Coffee Addicted Bibliophile with Jayati
- Talk of Tales with Nessma
- Largely the Truth podcast with Brennan Storr
- Genre Wars podcast with Tim Hawken
- “We Can’t All Be Optimus Prime” in Locus Magazine
- “Sticking the Landing” in Sarah Gailey’s newsletter, Stone Soup
- Writing Excuses podcast, eight-week masterclass on worldbuilding (16.43-16.50)
- Narrative Worlds with Kate Elliott, “Go Big or Go Home”
- Pagebreak with Brian McClellan
- Ink to Film podcast discussing Denis Villeneuve’s film adaptation of Dune
- I Should Be Writing podcast with Mur Lafferty, talking trilogies and more
- Worldbuilding for Masochists podcast, “The Times They Are A-Changin’”
Virtual Book Tour events
- With Andrew Kishino at Tubby & Coo’s
- With Ken Liu at Copper Dog Books
- With Sarah Gailey at Powells Books
- Instagram Live with Shannon Chakraborty
- Instagram Live at Bakka Phoenix
- Orbit Live with M.A. Carrick
Press and Trade Reviews
- NPR review of Jade Legacy
- Library Journal (starred review)
- Bookpage (starred review)
- Publishers Weekly (starred review, PW Picks)
- NPR “Books We Love” 2021
- Tor.com Reviewers’ Choice: The Best Books of 2021
- CBC Books’ “21 Books For the SF&F Lover”
Jade Legacy releases this week, November 30 in the US/Canada and December 2 in the UK. It’s hard to put into words how it feels to see this trilogy completed and out in the world. I’m proud of how this third and final installment in the Green Bone Saga turned out and am glad to finally share it with readers.
I’ll be launching Jade Legacy with a virtual book tour as well as in-person appearances. Join me at any of these upcoming events:
November 17 – (Virtual) In conversation with audiobook narrator Andrew Kishino at Tubby & Coos, 4pm PT/7pm ET
November 29 – (Virtual) Release Eve IG Live with S.A. Chakraborty 5:30pm PT/8:30 ET
December 1 – (Virtual) In conversation with Ken Liu at Copper Dog Books, 4pm PT/ 7pm ET
December 2 – (Virtual) In conversation with Sara Gailey at Powell’s, 5pm PT/8pm ET
December 3-5 – (In person) Panels and signings at Emerald City Comic Con, Seattle
December 5 – (In person) Signing at University Bookstore, Seattle, WA, 2:30pm
December 6 – (Virtual) IG Live with Bakka Phoenix, 5pm PT/8pm ET
December 7 – (Virtual) Orbit Live with M.A. Carrick, 4pm PT/7pm ET
December 11 – (In person) Signing at Daedalus Books, Portland, OR, 6:30pm PT
December 15 – (In person) In conversation with Andrea Stewart at Busboys and Poets (14th & V), DC, 6:30pm ET
Pre-order Jade Legacy and receive a 5″x7″ print of this stunning art of the Kaul family by C.J. Merwild, a signed Library of Janloon bookplate, and a Green Bone warrior oath bookmark. Open internationally, one per person, all formats (print, audio, ebook). Click here to submit your receipt.
I’m beyond excited for this: Popular book subscription and special editions company Illumicrate has partnered with Orbit Books UK to offer the Green Bone Saga Archives box, which will include signed, special edition naked hardbacks of Jade City, Jade War, and Jade Legacy with redesigned covers, foil detailing, and stenciled edges. The box will also include three exclusive themed items. On sale Sunday, October 3, 4pm BST. More details here.
The Green Bone Saga has been named to NPR’s 50 Best Science Fiction and Fantasy Books of the Decade. This is a wonderful reading list for those seeking to experience the best of modern speculative fiction.
- Green Bone Saga short fiction
- Janloon travel guide and other bonus content
- Monthly video Q&As
- Access to the Twice Lucky patron-only chat room on Discord
As we head into the launch of Jade Legacy, I’m excited to have this special space to interact and celebrate with readers and supporters. I hope you’ll join in.