I was at the Viable Paradise Workshop, where I’m writer-in-residence this week, when I received the news that Cross Fire had been named Best YA Novel at the 2019 Aurora Awards for best Canadian speculative fiction. I’m delighted by this win; even though sequels are often harder to write and better than their predecessors, they are so rarely recognized when it comes to awards. Thank you very much to the members of the Canadian Science Fiction & Fantasy Association for this honor.
Announcing my first foray into writing comics! I’m thrilled to share the news that I’ve joined Marvel and will be co-writing the monthly Sword Master & Shang-Chi comic book with Greg Pak, with art by Ario Anindito.
Sword Master is a new Chinese superhero originally published in Asia. Each issue of Sword Master will feature a 20-page story about Sword Master, translated from the original Chinese comic, and a 10-page ongoing story about Sword Master & Shang-Chi, written by me and Greg. My first co-written issue will be Sword Master #4, which comes out on October 2.
Orbit has revealed the cover for Jade Legacy, the third book in the Green Bone Saga! It’s fittingly as bold and epic as its predecessors. I like how the series starts with a close-in image on the cover of Jade City, to a city skyline in Jade War, to the mountainous landscape of Kekon in Jade Legacy, reflecting the expanding scope and stakes of the trilogy.
Jade War is out in the world, and I’ve absolutely blown away by the enthusiasm of Green Bone Saga readers. Here’s a roundup of recent online coverage, guest posts, interviews and fan content related to the launch.
- Library Journal (starred review)
- Publisher’s Weekly (starred review)
- Kirkus (starred review)
- Book Page
- Book Marks
- Novel Notions
- The Quiet Pond
- Blue Book Balloon
- The Eloquent Page
- Fantasy Book Review
GUEST POSTS & INTERVIEWS
- On Star Trek: TNG, the Green Bone Saga, and the Transformative Power of Fantasy Diaspora Stories on the B&N Sci-Fi & Fantasy Blog
- AMA (“Ask Me Anything”) on Reddit Fantasy
- Highlights from r/Fantasy AMA on Tor.com
- The Secret to Banishing Middle Book Syndrome on Bookish
- Eight of the Best Fantasy Books About Siblings on BookRiot
- Interview on Writing Routines
- Interview on Fictitious podcast
- Interview on DIY MFA Radio podcast – Inside the Mind of A Worldbuilding Junkie
- Guest appearance on the Worldbuilding for Masochists podcast
- Footnote: Conversation on creativity with Michelle Rial on Curious Fictions
- Jade War blog tour hosted by Caffeine Book Tours
- Character quiz by Krisha at Bookathon Blog
- Phone wallpapers by Aentee at Read At Midnight
- Hand-lettered quotes by Michelle at Magical Reads
- Green Bone Saga playlist by Stuti Telidevara
- Incorrect Jade City Twitter account
- Green Bone Saga wiki
BONUS GREEN BONE SAGA CONTENT
Pre-orders and first week sales are immensely valuable to authors and publishers because they signal to booksellers that there’s demand for the book. If you pre-order Jade War or buy it within its first week of release, I’ll send you a signed bookplate, a postcard of the Green Bone oath, and a vinyl No Peak clan sticker to show off your clan loyalties!
All you have to do is:
1) Rush out and buy a copy of Jade War in any format (print, audio, e-book)
2) Post a selfie (or book photo, or pet photo) with your purchased copy of Jade War on social media (Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram) with the hashtag #JadeWar by July 31.
3) Email or DM me with a link to your post and your mailing address (anywhere in the world is fine!)
4) Receive your swag! (Allow 1-3 weeks for delivery)